What will you get?
Each divorce and financial situation is different, and the amount of support you will receive depends on the specific details of your individual case. Some of the factors a court will consider when determining a spousal support amount include:
- Age and physical condition of both spouses
- Financial condition of both spouses
- Ability of one spouse to support the other
- How long the marriage lasted
- What the standard of living was while married
How long will payments last?
If you are capable of working, the court may decide that you will get these payments for a limited amount of time and you will be required to make every effort to become self supporting. This may mean you will need to go to school or prepare to reenter the workforce. In some cases, the court may determine that it is appropriate to grant the recipient permanent spousal support. Most of the time, these payments will stop if you remarry in the future.